The term “Whistle blowers” seems so familiar. But, its true meaning is unknown to many. Many of us witness a crime on daily basis. But, what to do next is either unknown to us or many people ignore it in a fear because they don’t want to involve themselves in that particular matter. For those fearful people, whistleblower act comes in the year of 2014, by Government. The Whistleblower Act protects the daring people who have risked their lives to reveal sensitive information to the public about illegal and corrupt practices.
A whistleblower is the one who reveals sensitive information about any misconduct of any public official or organization. And, the whistleblower protection act protects these people. It protects the identity of the whistleblower thereby safeguarding the information given.
Whistleblower Act – AMENDMENT
But year 2015 witnessed amendment in the Whistleblower act. Thereupon protection was provided only if the information revealed met certain parameters. Also, the act would not provide protection if the information fell into the following categories.
- Any information that harms the integrity or sovereignty of the country or if the information is a threat to the country’s security, economic, strategic and scientific interests with foreign states.
- Information from discussions and cabinet papers of Council of Ministers, secretaries and other government officials.
- The information that has been restricted by the court and will go against it’s given orders.
- Parliamentarians and MP’s enjoy certain privileges, given their position as India’s decision makers. Revealing any information that would harm this privilege will not allow protection under the Act.
- There will be no revelation of a company or an individual’s trade secrets, commercials, inventions, artistic or literary work if it harms its business.
- If two people share any information among them and they agree to not disclose it, then both parties cannot reveal it, unless the RTI covers it.
- A Foreign government reveals an information in trust than there will be no revelation of it.
- If the revelation of details and information could endanger the life and safety of a person than there should be no revelation of it. The source of information given in confidence for law or security enforcement also cannot be made known.
- If the disclosure of information will set back the process of investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of offenders.
- No information that might fall under public interest, but is an invasion of privacy cannot be revealed unless it has been made available under the RTI.
Information falling under such categories would also have no charge against the accused. Further, the court will not call them to give any explanation pertaining to the accusation.
Whistleblower act has now become an important part of our democracy. Many People supports this Act and its amendment. However, Few people dislike this Act. The efficiency of the act depends on how much people get the benefit from it. And how much our country get benefit from that sensitive information.