- With Gratitude – Unacademy pic
KUSUM Scheme is for harnessing solar power for rural India. The Government of India is in the process of formulating a scheme ‘ Kisan Urja Surksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyaan (KUSUM) which interalia, provides for –
- Installation of grid-connected solar power plants each of capacity up to 2 MW in the rural areas.
- Installation of standalone off-grid solar water pumps to fulfill irrigation needs of farmers not connected to a grid.
- Solarization of existing grid-connected agriculture pumps to make farmers independent of grid supply and also enable them to sell surplus solar power generated to DISCOM and get extra income and,
- solarization of tube-wells and lift irrigation projects of the Government sector.
- Central government has announced Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan – Kusum Scheme for farmers. Subsequently, govt. will provide subsidy on setting up pf solar power plants on their barren land. Accordingly, Kusum Scheme will solarize agricultural pump sets to double the income of farmers by 2022.
- Farmers can set up solar power projects on their barren land and use the generated energy. Moreover, farmers can also sell the excess energy to DISCOMS through grid setups to generate additional income.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy will start implementing this scheme from the next fiscal year to promote solar farming among farmers.
It will promote decentralised solar power production, reduce of transmission losses of discoms as well as provide support to improve financial health of DISCOMs by reducing subsidy burden to agriculture sector. It will also promote energy efficiency and water conservation and provide water security to farmers.