What is a salad?
Whenever we see salad, what comes in our mind? Just a plate of some raw things messed up together. When my mom invited some guests at home and prepared feast, I felt pity for the lonely salad plate. Serving rest of the dishes to them..I heard, a piece of cucumber asking me: “Why nobody loves us?” A tomato replied in rage: “We are just decoration for tonight.” A honey-dipped apple slice jumped into the conversation: “Don’t worry, they might pick us in the end.” A chickpea yelled back at apple slice: “They are going to be too full to pick us.” An onion slice who was observing everything said: “I will take revenge.I will make them cry every time they are going to cut me.”
The salad plate has started gaining my sympathy. To save their floating emotions, I stood up and circulated the salad plate on the table. Guests were picking up from the most ignored plate. But in the end, the chickpea proved to be right.
Look left, look right but not straight at salad counter:
Even in big fat Indian weddings, you can see crowd moving toward the fast-food junctions, main course, desserts, appetizers but only a few people passing by salad counters. The people who skipped salad counters are later found filling their plates with salad when they figure out that they have gained a few kilo. I don’t know how these people manage to eat salad whole day when they were the ones who were running away from it.
What salad do:
One of my friends found me eating cucumber sesame salad on a tea time break. She questioned me that if I am on a diet. A free advice comes along…does a cow or buffalo look slim? They eat green grass all the time. This is not going to make you slim. Ouch..! What a way to make me feel fat when I was not even thinking about it. I offered her some of the slices from my box and asked if she wants some water? She refused to drink as the cucumber slices had already done its work, i.e., to hydrate.
Know your salad:
As some of us like sweet corns but some may like the tangy tomatoes. Some want a hard crunch, some want a soft base. Different people have different taste and they must select the salad base accordingly.
The salad has no well-defined pattern. Everything depends on the style of menu.But still it can be classified on the basis of ingredients:
- Garden Salad: As the name suggest, it consists of leafy vegetables. The major base can be of spinach or cabbage. Lettuce leaves can also be added. This can be served with any kind of dressing.The garden salad will take care of your vegan friends too.This salad can be tossed with honey mustard or Italian dressing.
- Vegetable Salad: Mostly used as starters, this salad consists of lots of vegetables.They give a nice crunch. Veggies may include tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, onions, beetroot and radishes.The vegetables added improves the nutrient value of your plate.
- Bound Salad: Simple base but thick and sticky dressings. The binding can be done by mashed potatoes or mayonnaise. These kind of salads are perfect for picnics as they do not spread much on plates.
- Dinner Salad: These are the heavy ones. They include chicken pieces and sea foods such as shrimps and prawns. Fish steak such as tuna goes well with this kind of salad.
- Fruit Salad: A anytime and had fun type of salad. You don’t have to even use a knife if all the ingredients are berries. I make a honey dip when the fruit is not so sweet naturally.Otherwise, the fruits from chopping board directly go into a bowl. Canned fruits can also be used by the fresh ones gives an exotic taste. Dressing this kind of salad is fun as it can be done with whipped cream and syrups.
- Dessert Salad: Not so different from a fruit salad. They also have fruits as their major ingredients. It includes ice-cream, chocolate or whipped cream as the dressings. The fun comes along when chefs give a perfect Indian touch by serving a hot gulab jamun with an ice cream.
Make your own salad:
For those who find themselves too lazy to go in the kitchen, it is the easiest and the craziest thing you can make without making many efforts. You can try different combinations for every day to make taste buds happy. Who knows what you end up with. If the plan gets successful, your simple salad will become your signature dish. The dish that will add all the bling to your tea parties or a get-together. Let’s try something new every day. If you are a beginner and don’t know much about ingredients to be used, just have a look of things you can shop for.
- Banana peppers
- Bell peppers
- Sliced apples
- Dried cranberries
- Sunflower seeds
- Tortilla Strips
- Chow mein noodles
- Goat cheese