Crimes against women occur every minute in India. Women are not safe, whether it is in their houses, public places or at the workplace. Your safety in your hands sounds like a clichéd adage to repeat. Given the number of crimes that are committed against women, it is pertinent that women are aware of the laws that are in place to protect them.
Remember knowledge is power. As a parent, wife, daughter, employee and a woman, these are rights set in place to protect you and it is important that you are aware of these.
If a girl is suspected to be raped or getting raped, then she has the supreme right to “kill” the man or “harm” that person as dangerously and the girl won’t be blamed for “murder”. Tell as many as you can it’s your power create awareness. Share this as many as you can
1. What should a “woman” do if she finds herself alone in the company of a strange male as she prepares to enter a lift in a High Rise apartment late at night?
Experts Say: Enter the lift ……… If you need to reach the 13th floor, “Press all the buttons up to your destination”. No one will dare attack you in a lift that stops on every floor.
2. What to do if a stranger tries to attack you when you are alone in your house, run into the kitchen?
Experts Say: You alone know where the “chilli powder and turmeric” are kept. And where the knives and plates are. All these can be turned into deadly weapons. If nothing else, start throwing plates and utensils all over. Let them break. “Scream”… Remember that noise is the greatest enemy of a molester. He does not want to be caught.
3. Taking an Auto or Taxi at Night?
Experts Say: Before getting into an auto at night, note down its “registration” number. Then use the “mobile” to call your family or friend and pass on the details to them in the language the driver understands. Even if no one answers your call, pretend you are in a conversation. The driver now knows someone has his details and he will be in serious trouble if anything goes wrong. He is now bound to take you home safe and sound.
4. What if the driver turns into a street he is not supposed too and you feel you are entering a danger zone?
Experts Say: Use the “handle” of your purse or your stole (dupatta) to wrap around his neck and pull him back. Within seconds, he will feel choked and helpless. In case you don’t have a purse or stole just pull him back by his “collar”. The top button of his shirt would then do the same trick.
5. If you are stalked at night?
Expert Say: enter a shop or a house and explain your predicament. If it is night and shops are not open, go inside an “ATM box”. ATM centres always have closed-circuit television. Fearing identification, no one will dare attack you.
After all, being mentally alert is the greatest weapon you can ever have. As we all know that India is a most famous country all over the world for its great tradition and culture where women are given most respected place in the society from the ancient time. It is the country where women are considered as safer and most respected. Women are given the place of Goddess Lakshmi in the Indian society. Indian women are found working in all fields like aeronautics, space, politics, banks, schools, sports, businesses, army, police, and many more. We cannot say that this country has no any women concern however we cannot ignore positive points for women in India.
If we remember our history, we found that there was Panchaali Pratha in which a single woman (Draupadi) was allowed to get married to five men (Pandavas). It was all that what we see from our open eyes however if we see behind the curtain we will found all the crimes against women at home, offices, streets, etc. By seeing last few crimes against women in India such as rape cases, acid attacks, etc, the safety of women has been in doubt. Here are a few more safety measures women can thereby implement for their safety:
- Self-defence techniques are the first and foremost thing to which each and every woman must be aware of and get proper self-defence training for their safety. They must be aware of some effective defence techniques such as kicks to the groin, blocking punches, etc.
- Generally, most of the women are gifted with the sixth sense which they must use whenever they become some problem. They should at once avoid any situation which they feel bad for them.
- Escape and run is also a good way to reduce some risks of women whenever they become the problem. They should never go with an unknown person alone at some unknown places.
- Women must understand and feel their physical power and use accordingly. They never feel weak than men and take some self-defence training.
- They should be careful while communicating with someone on the internet in the cyberspace.
- Pepper spray can also be proved as a useful self-defence tool however it has a drawback that some people cannot be harmed by it even after full-face spray. It may not stop the attacker so women should not depend on it completely and use other techniques also.
- They must have all the emergency numbers with them and WhatsApp also if possible so that they can immediately tell to their family members and police.
- Women should be very conscious while driving the car and going on any trip. They must lock all the doors of the car while travelling by own or private car.
- Conclusion: Safety of Women is a big social issue which needs to be solved urgently by the effort of all. It is inhibiting the growth and development of the country and most importantly hurting the half population of the country in all aspects (physically, mentally, and socially).